Monday, March 20, 2006

Andrew's 13th

Yesterday was a busy and special day for the Mauldins. Sundays are alwas that way, but yesterday was even busier and more special. Yesterday was Andrew's (our yongest son) 13th birthday. My baby is now officially a teen-ager.

As I reflect on his life I can't help but smile and shed a tear all at once. I remember life before Andrew. Allen was almost nine when we found out Andrew was on his way. We had basically reconciled ourselves that Allen would be an "only child". Well, that wasn't God's plan. During Berni's (my wife) pregnancy with Andrew, we received word that some tests did not look good, so more were ordered. There was a chance that Andrew would have Down's syndrome. Before the final test was done, the doctor asked if termination of the pregnancy was an option. It was not! the doctor then advised not to do the test. We prayed the intire pregnancy for a healthy baby, but let God know that we would love and care for this child no matter what.

Well, March 19, 1993 came and we went to the hospital early in the morning. After a long hard labor, this beautiful 6 pound baby boy entered the world and changed our life forever.

I remember how cute he was at his grandmother's wedding. I remember his relationship with his grandpa. They were so much alike and were just meant to be grandfather and grandson. I remember his school activities. I smile when I remeber the play when he was the prosecuting attorney trying the case of "Jack and the Beanstalk". "Did you do it? Did you? Did You?" He was persistent. I remember the sun shining through the window so brightly each time Andrew had a line.

I think back on his baseball career. I remeber the game where Andrew started the game pitching, then played first base, then, when the game was on the line, his brother, Coach Allen, went to Andrew to close the game out as pitcher. We were ahead with winning run on base. I remeber my pride in both of my sons when we won that game. I remember a couple of years and several mile later andrew playing baseball in a different state and with different coaches. He had not pitched or played much that season. Before the game, the coach asked if Andrew though he could pitch some that game. Andrew said sure. The end result of that day was a "no-hitter". His first phone call--his brother.

I could go on and on about his accademic achievements and many other things in his life. but I guess the day I remember more than any other is the Sunday afternoon when he woke me up from my nap and said "Dad, I want to be baptized tonight." We talked and I was sure that he was very well aware of what he was doing. After we talked, he went down-stairs and told his brother. A little while later, Allen came up-stairs and said he wanted to be baptized that evening also. What a privilege for a father to baptize both of his sons into Christ on the same day.

I am so proud of his leadership at church. He is developing to be quite a song leader and truly loves to sing. I could go on and on (I know, some of you think I already have, but this is my BLOG about my son), but as we conclude the celebration of Andrew's 13th birthday I look forward to many more great years with both of my precious sons and their wonderful and lovely mother.

1 comment:

KentF said...

Hi Jim, Kent Faver here from Lufkin. We both frequent Mike Cope's blog -- good to see you in the blogging world. I had a wonderful time playing golf with Andrew a couple of years ago in your summer golf outing. Andrew and I partnered with Tom Crater and another gentleman who's name escapes me. We shot 2 under I believe, thanks to some good putting by Andrew. Tell him I said happy b'day.